Dr. Edward O. McDermott is the youngest child born to Dr. Charles and Hettie (Smith) McDermott, a short record of
whom is given in the sketch of Philander McDermott. He was born in Monticello, Drew County, Ark., March 11, 1862,
receiving early and careful training in the schools near his home, after which he supplemented his education by an
attendance at the Southwestern Presbyterian University, being senior member of his class, but failed to graduate, owing to
the death of his father which occurred at this time. He is, however, a gentleman of fine literary and scientific attainments,
and being desirous of following in the footsteps of his father, and having a natural taste for the science of medicine, he
began his medical studies in 1880, continuing through the years 1881-83, Drs. P. C. Pope and Saunders being his
preceptors. He attended the Tulane University, of New Orleans, La., during the sessions of 1883-84, and in 1886-87 was
an attendant of the Louisville (Ky.) University, from which institution he was graduated with honors in the latter year.
He immediately entered upon his practice at Dermott, after leaving the college at New Orleans, and here has since made
his home, with the exception of the time spent at Louisville, as above stated. He is devoting his entire time and talent to his
profession, and so far success has crowned his efforts to a very encouraging degree, the patronage which he now enjoys
being large and lucrative.
April 4, 1884, he was married, at Greensburg, La., to Miss Nannie P. Wood, a native of Mississippi, where she was
reared and educated, finishing her education at Silliman Institute, at Clinton, La. She is a daughter of Douglas Wood, of
Mississippi, who is now deceased, his widow being now the wife of Rev. James S. Parker, a Methodist minister, of
Bolton, Miss. The Doctor and his wife have had one son born to them, his birth occurring May 12, 1885, and his death
August 22, 1887. Dr. McDermott was called upon to mourn the death of his wife, August, 1887, she having been an
earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, for a number of years.
The Doctor is a Presbyterian, a member of the K. of H., and politically, is an uncompromising Democrat. He is one of the
well-read physicians of the county, and in his professional, as well as in his private life, he inherits many of his noted father's
sterling qualities, and, like him, is highly esteemed by his fellow-men.