Hugh N. Brooks is a butcher by trade and an enterprising resident of Dermott, Ark. He was born near the mouth of Red
River in Louisiana, on March 25, 1852, being the son of John T. Brooks, who was born near Cape Girardeau, Mo., January
8, 1816, being reared, educated and married there.
He followed merchandising and farming there for some time, after which he moved to Louisiana, and settled in Point Coupee
Parish, where he made large investments and became prominent as a dealer in real estate. He was a Roman Catholic in belief,
although not a member of the Church, and socially was a Master Mason, and politically a Democrat, being an active worker
in the interests of his party, by which he was offered many positions of honor and trust but declined them all, as he had no
desire for office. His death, which occurred January 18, 1869, was a source of much regret to all who had the pleasure of
knowing him, for he was a man who always tried to do as he would be done by, and his many noble qualities of mind and
heart were seen and recognized. His parents were born in Ireland, and emigrated to the United States in 1776, settling in
South Carolina, moving from there to Missouri in 1799, where they spent the remainder of their lives, dying at an advanced
age. The grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was severely wounded in battle, the wound resulting fatally after
many years of disability.
The mother of Hugh N. Brooks, whose maiden name was Mary J. Evans, was a native of Missouri, born March 27, 1826,
and was the daughter of Berry C. and Nancy (Taylor) Brooks, the latter dying in Drew County, Ark., September 16, 1881,
having removed there from Louisiana after the death of her husband. John T. Brooks and his wife were married in Missouri, in
1842, and became the parents of fifteen children--nine sons and six daughter--twelve of whom grew to maturity, and five are
now living: John T., (a farmer of Louisiana), Hugh N., Mary J., Sevaris R. and Minnie B. (who is going to school in
Fayetteville, Ark.). Those deceased are: Mark, William B., Henry M., Perry E., James E., George J., Henry M., Jr., Annie
Hugh N. Brooks was reared in Point Coupee Parish, La., but as the country was very wild and thinly settled, and
school-houses very few, his educational advantages were quite meager. At the age of eighteen years he commenced the battle
of life for himself as a trader and dealer in live stock, more especially cattle, and after being thus engaged for some time he
went to Texas, and for one year resided near Fort Worth, after which he returned to Arkansas, and in 1887 settled in Desha
County, where he opened a small farm, which is still in his possession. Besides this property he has landed interests in
Louisiana, at and near his father's old homestead, but he has long since given up farming, and is now engaged in the butchering
business at Dermott.
He is, without doubt, a self-made man, and during his walk through life has risen from adversity to the enviable place he now
occupies in business as well as social circles. He is a sober, industrious and honest gentleman, creditable alike to his sisters,
and brothers and to the community in which he lives. He has always been a stanch Democrat, and is his religious belief is a
Roman Catholic, but not a member of the church.